Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It's Official! We're family now!!!



The newest happiest family photo we took after we found out birthmom had signed papers!

We are greatful to Weston's birthfather who had already signed the paperwork so that Weston could become our son. Weston's sweet angel birthmom struggled through the process of signing her parental rights to Brett and I (and LDSFS fro the 6 month legal waiting period) yesterday afternoon. I heard she was really struggling, as you can imagine. She saw him only for a moment to say goodbye after life flight had gotten ahold of him and he was decorated with monitors and cords literally from his head to his toes. His color was not great like it is now- it would have been a very heartbreaking scene as she said goodbye, unable to hold, or even touch him through his incubator.

After Weston got life flighted to the hospital in UT, Brett and I quicly drove to meet him but were met with red tape as at first they said they could not allow us to see him or let us know how he was until the papers were signed because we were not his parents and did not have any legal rights until paperwork had been done. The hospital called the birthmom and she told them to treat us like any other parent. I am so greatful for that, because we felt so helpless in that moment. They also said they weren't going to let him allow any visitors, but after talking to Jessica, they said we would be treated like any other parent and have the one hand and arms scrubbed down visitor at a time. Good thing because he had a grandpa and uncles dying to see him. They allowed his uncles to go in and give him a blessing and I stayed to listen and cried (I've been doing a lot of crying!) as I felt the love that Heavenly Father has for this very special child. Dad was so greatful to Jessica and wanted us to say a prayer for her. So he said it and it was very sweet and sincere and full of gratitude asking that she and Weston's birthparents can have strength and be blessed for allowing us to have this wondeful baby. My brother Troy says he has not seen me this happy since I was little and got "Webigail" for Christimas! I truly am so happy!!! We anxiously await Weston's progress for when we can bring him home, but are loving every moment and one thing is for sure, he is growing cuter every moment and all of the nurses from WY to SLC ooo and ahhh over how adorable he is!

If my mom and Nat and Bry and Cindy read this: Don't worry!!! He's going to be just fine!!! You'll see him soon and he's in wonderful hands! (When they found out about all this, I heard they were out to eat in England and were all bawling by the time the waitress brought out their food because they felt bad they weren't here.)



Here's Brett's update to his friend, which I thought explained the medical aspect better:



Weston is actually doing really well considering. The only problem is that his lungs weren't opening up like they should, when he first came out, so he fought hard for air. Because he was so strong and fought so long before they could fix it, his lungs got a tear and have been leaking into his chest. This is causing difficulty for his lungs, which would otherwise be working properly now, to do their job. There is a little pocket of air close to his heart, so they can’t go in and release it with a chest-tube. They have him sedated so that he doesn't do much breathing on his own allowing for the tear to heal and the pocket of air to be absorbed. When this is done, he should, theoretically, be a healthy, strong baby and we will be able to take him home as soon as he learns to bottle-feed.
Thank-you for your prayers.

We were finally able to adopt our baby yesterday when our wonderful birthmother fought through the emotions and signed the release form. It was hard for her because she was so concerned about little Weston's well-being and wished that she could've held him. We signed our papers and paid the fees shortly thereafter and are now the proud parents of Weston Jay Rich.
Our legal status as parents will be finalized in 6 months when we go to court. We will then be blessed with the opportunity to take him to the temple and be sealed to him forever. Also at that time will be finally be able to bless him in the church.
What a great day we had!!


We've already started reading to him. Since we can't hold him we want him to be able to recognize our voice.

11 comments:

Katie said...

Oh I am so relieved! Our daughter was hooked up to all sorts of machines her 2nd day of life for breathing problems too and it is heartbreaking! I hope little Weston will be able to go home soon and you will be able to settle into life as a family. Congratulations, you all look like you belong together and he is adorable!

dust and kam said...

Congratulations guys! I am so happy for you!! He is adorable!

Katie said...

I'm not suprised to hear the nurses have been ooing at him. From these pictures he is the cutiest new born I've ever seen. I can't wait until he can come home and we can all see this amazing spirit in person. Let us know if we can do ANYTHING. Congrates on being parents.

Malone and Brittany said...

Congrats Nicole and Brett! I'm just a lurker from 2ofus4now, but wanted to congratulate you and let you know that many prayers are being offered on behalf of you two and your son. Hopefully you will get to bring him home soon!

mandamike said...

What wonderful news! Congratulations, your baby is adorable, thanks for sharing your little miracle with us.
~Amanda
(from the LDS Adoptive parents yahoo group)

Lila said...

Congrats! I don't know you, but found you through Kami's blog! My husband and I just adopted a baby boy five weeks ago!! It is quite the exciting time in life! I hope to be able to keep track of your experience. Enjoy your new bundle!

Elizabeth and Brian said...

YEAH!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU. My hubby even started to cry out of joy!

~Our Family~ said...

Oh he is a cutie pie.. I'm so glad that everything worked out for you and the birthmom signed the papers.. That is just awesome.. Are you going to have an open adoption with her? It is fun I love talking to our birthfamily.. I can't wait for Weston to be able to go home.. It is so much fun. Thinking of you...

chrisandlaura96 said...

Contratulations! You guys make a very beautiful, happy family. I'm so excited for you! Thanks for sharing your miracle with us.
-Laura
(LDS adoptive parents yahoo group)

Suzanne said...

He is gorgeous! Congratulations you guys!
Suzanne
(lds apotive parents...)

Trent and Carlie & Co. said...

I am so happy for you guys!! We will remember your little guy in our prayers! I have been thinking about you a lot lately and I am so glad to hear that things have worked out! I am keeping pretty busy with our twins who were placed with us 2 months ago, so I haven't even had a chance to write to you. I am from the Yahoo group. :) Carlie