Yesterday morning I went to Alta High School to a Child Development class with a social worker and a birth mom and gave a presentation about adoption representing the Utah Adoption Council. We talked about being educated on ALL of our options before making an informed decisions about an unplanned pregnancy and did some exercises that the social workers do with Birth parents as they weigh their options.
When it was my turn, I just shared our adoption story from an adoptive parents' perspective and answered questions. I also brought pictures which they LOVED. It was way fun! I loved all the energy being in the High SChool and they asked some really great, smart questions- I was so impressed! I was just filling in for someone else last minute, but I hope to do it again!
It's kind of ironic, because I remember when they came and did that presentation to my health class when I was in high school, it really, really touched me. I think it sort of helped to prepare me to be excited when my life lead me to adoption. Sometimes for people dealing with infertility, it's easy to get stuck in the mode of unsuccessfully trying to conieve and not want to move on from there. Luckily it didn't take us too long to realize our goal was to become parents, not to become pregnant. And that's how adoption changed our life and made our dreams come true. It was a wonderful experience I wouldn't trade for anything because there was so much growth involved.
We also stress that birhtparents don't place their babies for adoption because they are bad people or because they don't want them. That seems to be a common misconception. On the contrary, they're usually really great people who LOVE their babies so much that they are willing to surrender their own feelings in order to give their child a better chance at life than their current circumstances permit.
Friday, May 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Nicki, It is really neat to hear your perspective on adoption and see that it is a really important thing. I face the possibility of adopting due to a condition I have, so it is nice to see how successful it turns out.
What a neat experience. I would love to do that sometime. I think a lot of the time girls choose abortion or parenting because they're the only options that are really talked about. I'm glad you were able to get them thinking about adoption as an option too.
Post a Comment