Tuesday, September 16, 2008

1 week old!

Weston was 1 week old yesterday! We love him so much and we're so proud of him! It was a good day for him because he got rid of his ventilator and graduated to a CPAP. Basically, tubes going through his nose rather than his mouth. All the Dr's and nurses says he's doing beautifully, but as the parent, this new machinery still isn't any easier to look at than the other, so I just have to believe them. Especially since he's no longer sedated it sort of feels/looks to me like he's struggling compared to when he'd just lie there and be heavily sedated. But that's a good thing and it's making him strong so he can come home soon. I love to just hold his hands and be there with him as much as possible. I am happy to see him not have to have a bunch of tubes fill up the corner of his mouth though, and I'm sure he appreciates that. Late last night his oxygen got down to 25%, which is great! This morming when we called they said he's 2 steps away from getting off the CPAP. When he gets off of CPAP he'll be on normal oxygen- the kind that you see people wear in public. And they don't keep babies in the hospital just because they're on oxygen, but for preemies learning to eat and gain weight before they leave (to suck, breathe and swallow) can be the tricky part since they've been tube fed and have had breathing problems.
He got his last tube that was nourishing him through his belly button and where they would pull blood for his GAS tests pulled out as well since he's eating so nicely and his GAS's have all been okay. They thought he would have to be on the billyruben (sp?) lights for jondis (sp?) but he had some poopy diapers and was peeing good too, so he kept his levels below the level that you need lights and we'll see if he'll need them today.
Sorry no pictures, I forgot my camera yesterday when I went to the hospital.

3 comments:

Colin, Jess, Kenner, Lily and Ember said...

That is such good news!! I'm so happy for you guys and so happy Weston is doing so well.

Katie said...

YAHOO, Sound like the "GAME IS ON"

Melinda said...

Congrats Weston!! He is so adorable. We can't wait to meet him. Hope you can bring him home soon.