Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"For This Child I Prayed"

Hope everybody had a Happy Mother's Day!
Now to this appropriate-for-Mother's-Day-picture by Elspeth Young called "For this Child I Prayed." It depicts Hannah of the bible, with her son Samuel. I love this piece! It brought tears to my eyes when I first saw it and read the title, because the story of Hannah and her son Samuel is so near and dear to my heart.

Look at the picture. See how comfortable Hannah is and how fulfilled she feels in her nurturing and attentive role as Mother? Can you tell how grateful she is; How she treasures the tiny moments? (I know just how she feels!)
This joyful reality depicted in the painting, however, did not just happen- it was carved from a season of deep grief when Hannah could not conceive a child, until her pleadings to the Lord were at last fulfilled- in His wise timing.
Looking at this picture, I'd bet she'd say it was worth it. Worth the wait, the grief, the pain, the long suffering, the struggle to get from impatience to trust, to hope, to greater faith and the amazing lessons learned.
Like Hannah, God also granted the desires of my heart, and gave me a son, thanks to the miracle of adoption! And he is unquestionably worth every little heartbreak that seemed so great at the time.
I hope everyone can take a moment to reflect upon the tiny moments in life with gratitude no matter what stage you yourself are at right now, and realize it too is a miracle. Bytheway, to our Moms, Grandmas, and Weston's birth Mom & Grandma: We love you and are incredibly grateful to you! Thank You & Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Melanie Ann Millett said...

Um yeah this is the first time I've seen this picture, and it brought tears to my eyes, too! I love your description and thoughts about it. Although I didn't have the kind of heartbreak that you or Hannah did, I remember how badly I wanted a child, and praying that Ron would feel that same desire.

Elizabeth said...

That is Beautiful...so touching!!!